- Contact Us
- Orthodoxy & Worship
- Church Info
- Weekly Bulletin
Serves a big bunch!
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup vegetarian broth
- 3 medium zucchini, coarsely chopped
- 2 cans (28 oz ea) diced tomatoes
- 2 cans (12 oz ea) tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice (or juice of 1 lemon)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate (grated) – secret ingredient!
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3 cans (16 oz ea) kidney beans, drained
In a large pot, saute the garlic in the oil until golden brown, then add onions
and broth. Simmer over medium heat until transparent. Add zucchini, lower heat.
Add the tomatoes and tomato puree. Let simmer for a few minutes. Add cumin,
chili powder, oregano, and lemon juice. Add cinammon, chocolate and cardamom.
Cook 1 hour, until flavors are well blended. During last 20 minutes of cooking,
add kidney beans.
Serve in soup bowls. Have separate containers of: shredded non-dairy Monterey
Jack and Cheddar cheese, chopped red onion, chopped tomato, and peeled and
chopped cucumber . . . so everyone can top their own bowl of chili. Delicious
with corn bread and a salad.
Source: Eat This . . . It'll Make You Feel Better, by Dom DeLuise